Time to get to know more about Anette 😉

My name is Anette Baum, I am 21 years old (born in 1998) medical student. Most of my life I have exercised canoe sprint discipline. From the last year of kindergarten to the second grade of primary school I dealt with rhythmic gymnastics. Starting from the second grade I also went to music school, where I studied to play the piano. To kayaking, I reached through my coach Tiina Hodakov, who was my PE teacher at school and asked me to join the trainings.

In the second grade, I went to the trainings on two to three days a week and in the summer holiday, I joined the kayaking workouts twice a day with my brother. As I liked kayaking trainings, I stopped doing gymnastics after the second grade and was left only with kayaking and music school, which I also stopped after having practiced for four years. From the sixth grade, I added morning training sessions before school classes to my daily routine.


Summer of 2010 on Pärnu river, after the race

In 2014, being 16 years old, I first took part in Canoe Sprint Juniors European Championships, following the Championships in 2015, 2016 and the U23 World Championships in 2017. The best result from European Championships was 14th place in 1000 meters in 2016, counting Olympic distances (200m and 500m for women) my best result was 16th place in 200m the same year. During the years paddling I have gained 22 gold medals from Estonian Championships among adults and altogether 87 medals from national championships in different age groups. I have also been awarded as the best young female kayaker of Estonia, the best young athlete of Pärnu a couple of times and once as the best female kayaker of Estonia.


European Junior Canoe Sprint Championships 2016 in Plovdiv, Bulgaria

I had always wanted to compete on longer distances as well, but didn´t have a fellow and wasn´t so eager to participate in longer competitions alone, especially counting the fact that I was training hard for sprint distances and getting back proper stroke and speed after having paddled monotonously for a long time is not very easy. In 2017 one young woman was looking for a teammate for paddling 100 kilometers on Võhandu Marathon in K2 women´s class and when I was asked I decided: now was the time to participate. For the next year, I had gained enough courage and willingness to paddle 78 km Türi-Tori Downriver Race with K1 a week before Võhandu Marathon, to which I got my long-term canoe sprint boatmate and contestant Eve Külasalu as a fellow for K2. In 2019 competitions with Linda were added, but about them, you get to know more about earlier and later in this blog.


Türi-Tori Downriver Race in 2019

Linda: "Anette is one of the strongest women I know... on both, physical and mental levels. With her, I am willing to take new challenges without a doubt. She can see a positive thing even during the hardest moments and paddling together with her is pure fun!" 😊









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ja aeg tutvuda Lindaga 😉

Aeg tutvuda Anettega 😉

„What's coming, is coming ... but in full" - Võhandu Marathon 2020